Does a Social Media Strategy Need Video Content?
Updated: Oct 16, 2022
Many have felt that when it comes to social media, their brand simply does not exist. No matter how much a user posts or how many hashtags they utilize, they cannot seem to increase their overall engagement.
For those that are just starting out, they find that jump-starting their presence is even harder and real growth feels nearly impossible in comparison with similar brands that have seemingly mastered the social media universe.
This could be for a number of reasons, but one that is often overlooked is the type of content being produced. Video content is one of the most powerful mediums available to social media users. It allows you to show rather than tell your story, and if done correctly, can introduce your brand to a whole new audience.
Have you considered using video content across your social media channels? Integrating video content into your social media presence isn’t only essential to your engagement metrics and brand awareness, it can also be extremely easy and affordable.
Okay, but why video?
It’s no secret that in the world of social media, video content is the reigning king. Video allows you to target a specific audience, increase overall engagement, tell your unique story, get results you need, and video can always be repurposed and used again and again.
People love videos. In fact, by 2022, online videos will make up more than 82% of all consumer internet traffic — 15 times higher than it was in 2017.
The numbers don’t lie — if you want to create content that will reach the widest audience possible, video is the way to go. Not only that, but video is also an extremely versatile form of content that
But why does video content have such a strong foothold for internet traffic? The answer is simple: humans are visual creatures. Videos have the ability to evoke emotion and connect with viewers on a much deeper level than written content ever could.
Think about it — when was the last time you watched a video that made you laugh, cry, or simply feel something? Probably recently, right? Now, compare that to the last time you read an article that made you do any of those things.
Chances are, it’s been a while.
That’s because video has the ability to connect with us on an emotional level, which is something that written content simply cannot do as effectively. Plus, a message can be communicated more quickly and efficiently in video form than in written form.
In addition to the overall emotional connection, there’s the component of recollection. If you think back to the time you spent on social media over the last few days, can you remember a video that you saw? Now what about an online article or social media post? Like most users, you can probably recount the general message of the video far quicker than you can recall the context of the article. There are studies and statistics supporting this very thing.
A viewer will retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, as opposed to the mere 10% when they read that same message in an article. That is a staggering gap between the two forms of content, and it should tell you right away why video content is so important to your social media strategy.
So, if you’re looking for a way to increase your social media engagement and reach a wider audience, investing in video production is the way to go.
See Related Post: Does Video Content Matter?
What positives derive from having video in your strategy?
Truth be told, there are countless reasons to use video in your social marketing strategy, but here are our top reasons:
1) Share testimonials about your product or services – Written testimonials are great, and a five-star rating absolutely be shared and promoted on your social media channels. But how much more provoking and attention-grabbing is a video testimonial of a customer raving about their experience? A video review – when crafted with the audience in mind – can engage its viewers and entice them to learn more about your products and/or services, potentially leading them to become buying customers themselves.
2) Tell your story to start apart from the competition – We have no doubt that your company has a unique, one-of-a-kind story. Everyone does. But does your social media channels reflect that story? We all love a good brand story, and a captivating video will ensure your story resonates with viewers.
3) Drive more leads to your website – Having a strong video content strategy is going to encourage your followers to visit your website or online store. Through video, you can gain more traffic, more traffic will lead to conversions, and those conversions into sales.
4) Use video to show off your product – A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a video is worth…well, a lot more. If you’re promoting a physical product on social media, consider using video to show it off in all its features and benefits.
5) Increase engagement – As we mentioned before, video is one of the most engaging types of content on social media. By using video in your social media strategy, you’re more likely to increase engagement with your posts, which will lead to more followers and potential customers.
Ways to use video in social media
Get creative with hashtags – Hashtags are a great way to increase the reach of your post and help it be seen by people who don’t already follow you. But with video content, you can get even more creative. Use hashtags that are specific to your industry, as well as ones that are general (think: #SocialMedia or #Marketing).
Create a series – If you’re stumped on what type of video content to create, consider creating a series. This could be anything from a “day in the life” type series that gives viewers a behind-the-scenes look at your company or employees, to a tips and tricks series that helps educate your audience on your product or service.
Go live – Live video is one of the most popular types of content on social media, and for good reason. It allows you to connect with your audience in real-time and gives them a behind-the-scenes look at what’s going on with your company.
Do you need a large budget to create high-quality video content?
If you are under the impression that enhancing your social media presence with video content is going to be costly and time-consuming, you’re not alone. But the truth is, it can be as simple as learning a few video production techniques that will allow you to record high-quality video content on your own.
If that isn’t something you feel comfortable doing, there are several sites where you can purchase stock video and implement your own logo.
We create unique, one-of-a-kind content
Sorrentino Media is a national, digital-first video production company headquartered in Manhattan. We specialize in short-form digital content. We churn social media content quickly, work with all budgets and timelines, and create sharp, impressive video content for Facebook, TikTok, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube channels.
As a boutique firm, we provide service and attention to our clients that large firms cannot match. Reach out to us online to discuss video content production and start increasing your following, presence and impact on social media today!